Self-Sacrifice: Jane Erye and St. John Rivers


There are few books in the English language that provide as much thought for the imagination, or as many intriguing characters as Jane Eyre. I recently finished reading the book, and of all that I've read none has struck me as this did. Jane Eyre was certainly an intriguing character and the way that Bronte captured her was thoroughly engrossing. Jane was grounded, deliberate, and principled, but not dull and stoic. In fact, she was full of passion and romance. It was Jane’s stay with the Rivers family that defined her life. She found family, occupation, comfort and prosperity.

The relationship between Jane and St. John captured my attention more than any other subject in the book. Their characters were not so contradictory that they could not agree, yet they had a contrast that beautifully displayed both the virtues and shortcomings of the other.
As badly as St. John wanted Jane for his wife, even the casual reader would know he did not love her as a husband should; yet his vigilance in pursuing her was certainly inspiring. When it was clear she would never have him as her husband, he left for India and never married.

My heart went out to him from the first. For many chapters I liked him better than Rochester. His character was above reproach, and his only fault that he was too devoted to God’s work. (If that could be a fault). Though he seems to have missed out of the wonderful enjoyment freedom in Christ can bring to a Christian life, he was empty of regret, and unwavering in his purpose.

I think it must be significant that Bronte chose to end her novel with a page about St. John’s life. The final words do not speak of Jane’s happiness with her Edward, but instead illustrate the life of a Christian missionary who, to the end of his life, followed his Lord, sacrificing health, wealth and even personal happiness to bring eternal life and wellness to those who were less fortunate than he. Even with his legalism, his character inspired me. His life and example were all above reproach, and even as Jane writes of him, “A more resolute, indefatigable pioneer never wrought amidst rocks and dangers. Firm. Faithful, and devoted; full of energy, and zeal, and truth… He may be stern; he may be exacting: he may be ambitious yet; but his is the sternness of the warrior Greatheart, who guards his pilgrim convoy from the onslaught of Apollyon. His is the exaction of the apostle, who speaks but for Christ when he says—‘Whosoever will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.’…[Those] who are called, and chosen, and faithful.” (p. 552)

And I finished Jane Erye with tears in my eyes, crying, not for Jane, but for St. John…
…Yet the book is titled Jane Eyre and I was missing the connect. Until I smiled as I thought of her happiness, and her curious (but O, so wonderful!) marriage. The differences between the life she could have had and the life she chose then struck me: there were few. Except for an extreme climate, lack of food, Indian patients and an unloving husband the life she could have had with St. John was not very different from the life she chose with Rochester. Blinded and one-handed he needed care. Even when he was well, his personality was one that demanded attention. And what did Jane do? For the rest of her life she sacrificed her dreams, her wishes, her self for the love of her husband. She gave all to him, and there was never a couple so "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh” so united they were. Yet, unlike St. John, who gave up a fanciful love for the reserves of a missionary’s life, Jane’s true desires were fulfilled in her self-sacrifice. It was not that serving Mr. Rochester for the rest of her life stifled her imagination, crushed her dreams, or gave her no fulfillment. Rather, her marriage to Rochester was what gave her those things. And how beautiful it was! She was never so happy as when she was with him; she was never so content as when she was at his side; and never so satisfied as when she heard him say, “Jane! Jane, I need you. Come to me.”


What love! How many times have I heard a little voice call from some room in the house, “I need help!” and with a sigh go seek them out.

That is not self-sacrifice.

That does not even touch the surface of love.
I wish I knew what Bronte purposed when she wrote Jane Eyre. Was there a message she wished to communicate above all others? If I could choose just one thought to bring out of this epic novel it is found in her self-sacrifice. Diligent, tireless, constant, cheerful and issued from a heart full of love. There stands the difference between St. John Rivers and dear Jane Eyre. While one sacrificed himself for duty the other sacrificed herself for love. O, blessed Christian whose love is for his duty!

1 comments:

Ruby Jean Hopkins said...

Oh Ashlee... This rather encouraged me. I remember I was so intrigued by Charlotte's style as soon as I read the first lines... "There was no possibility of taking a walk that day." But as regards to St. John Rivers, I had doubts as to whether his love towards her was really love. Like you said, it wasn't the way a husband should love a wife. I took it (at the time) to be a more brotherly sort of love. And when he proposed to her, I was enraged when he wanted to marry her because he felt like that was what God wanted him to do, and he thought it would be RIGHT if they married. To me that just didn't seem right. I got so excited when I knew he was going to propose, but then I thought he would tell her that he loved her, and that he wanted to marry her and live out the rest of his days with her. And when he just said, "I feel like God wants us to get married... so let's do it."
Yupper, there are differences between Mr. Rochester and St. John Rivers. Could you imagine what John would think if he saw the way Mr. Rochester acted? I thought that maybe he would be horrified with the way Mr. Rochester tried to make Jane jealous by paying attention to Blanche Ingrid (was that her name?) and how Mr. Rochester would do things that John would never even dream of. John was kinda of like a hyper-Calvinist. :P Mr. Rochester is somewhat daring, bold, even, in a sense, scandalous, haha. John has a penetrating mind, a deep solemness and a quiet seriousness about him that he has earned from many days worth of study and thought. But the result of all this was that he became, like you said, legalistic. IDK, Ashlee. I loved St. John Rivers when Charlotte first introduced her, but then as the story went on I disliked him more and more. But I was twelve, so maybe I should read it again. :P

Oh I was going to say that you should read Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. It is so good, and so thought-provoking. Anne writes from an even more biblical prospective than Jane, but that does not prevent the novel from being colorful, intriguing, thrilling, and with some ignominious parts. Anne was reprimanded for her writing of debauchery and drunkenness, but she said that "When we have to do with vice and vicious characters, it is better to depict them as they really are than as we would wish them to appear." There is more, but she was trying to make a point. Charlotte was Anne's main critic on this subject. After Anne's death, Charlotte, dissuaded publishers from continuing the book. Gradually they became less read and Anne was a shadow compared to Emily and Charlotte. Well, then again, Anne's first novel, Anges Grey, was written at 26. That and Emily's dramatic Wuthering Heights were published after a little time, but Charlotte's The Professor, was rejected by every single publisher. I am wondering if MAYBE Charlotte was jealous of Anne. When Anne died in Scarborough, Charlotte buried her there instead of back at home with Emily, whom Anne was really close to. She also held the funeral immediately, not giving her father time to make the trip up. Apparently he had already started out. Huh, I don't know why I wrote so much. Sorry! I loved this post, though, Ashlee... You write so well. :)